Geokaun is the highest mountain on Valentia Island at 888 feet. Fogher Cliffs form the edge between this mountain and the Atlantic Ocean. The 360 degree panoramic views include the Skellig Islands, Bray Head, Atlantic Ocean, Blasket Islands, Dingle Peninsula, McGillycuddy Reeks, 4 of Ireland’s highest mountains and Valentia Harbour.
There are 2km of roadway / pathway, which are disability and family friendly. These lead to 4 spectacular viewing areas and the peak. There are 36 information plaques covering 22 topics of social / historical interest relevant to Valentia Island and its surroundings.
Learn about the social and cultural history of the area while enjoying the spectacular views. At the peak there are three viewing areas – The Miner’s view, The Sheperd’s View and Carraig na Circe. There are 34 information plaques relating to the views – Skelligs Rocks, Blasket Islands, The Lighthouse, Bray Tower, Tetrapod Trackway, Church Island, Beginish, Portmagee, Valentia, Whale Watching, Cable Station, Flora and Fauna, Wildlife – Chough, Puffin etc.
Maurice Fitzgerald 18th Knight of kerry employed Alexander Nimmo (1783 – 1832) to design a new village and pier at the ‘foot’ facing Renard Point on the mainland and named it Kinght’s Town. lt has a wonderful architectural heritage and buildings of note include: The Cable Station offices and dwellings, St. john the Baptist Church of Ireland, Church of the Immacualte Conception R.C., Royal Hotel, Clock Tower, Ferry Waiting Hut, wireless and Iightkeepers quarters and Slate Yard. The village was once a thriving port exporting fish and slate. Coal, slag and other provisions were imported. Before the bridge was built, a motorised open passenger ferry operated between Knightstown and Renard Point. This ferry also brought all freight (food, hardware, farm and building materials etc.) onto the island and on Fair Days in Cahersiveen it towed a cattle boat with cattle and horse cars of bonhams (piglets).
The old Gaelic name for Portmagee is ‘An Caladh’ which means ‘Quay’. The pier and the sea were central to the life of the village. All families made their livelihood from fishing, boat building and related activities. Before the 1940’s fishing was done in open rowing boats. Mackerel was the biggest catch and it was cured in Portmagee and exported. Today there are four trawlers and seven smaller fishing boats fishing out of Portmagee. The catch includes; sole, plaice, brill, turbot, lobster, cray fish, brown crab,veIvet crab and shrimp. Periwinkles and clams are also gathered. Live shelfish are exported weekly to the continent and while fishing is still the main economic activity, tourism is playing an ever increasing part in village life.
Mobile Phone: +353 (0)87 6493728
From Portmagee: Cross the bridge from Portmagee, turn left at the T Junction. Continue on for 1km and turn right at the Y Junction. It is 3km ahead on this road.
From Valentia Island Car Ferry: Turn right and drive up through Knightstown. Turn right at top of village and follow signs for 4km.